ISO 41001, the organisation places its focus on building management, more commonly known as facility management.
ISO 41001 was implemented to establish the requirements a facility management system must meet in organisations that:
- Want to demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of facility management, and what it contributes to the organisation's goals,
- Pursue consistency in defining the requirements and needs of all the parties involved in the facility management process and
- Aim to be sustainable in a highly competitive environment.
Facility management is the organisational function that integrates people, place and process within the built environment, with the purpose of improving the quality of life of people and the productivity of the core business
The new standard will also clarify the "what and why" of facilities management, placing it firmly at the centre of strategic operations. Managing operations and maintenance of a workplace is essential for maintaining important assets and operational efficiencies, and is a growing importance for all businesses.
Facilities management can be the second highest overhead of an organisation, after the payroll, and so it pays to look after these physical and strategic assets. When facilities, buildings and so on are not managed well, it has an effect on virtually every part of the business.
ISO 41001 Certification - Benefits
- ISO 41001 has the potential to make a real difference to organizations by improving workforce health and safety, reducing their impact on the environment and making considerable cost savings and efficiencies.
- ISO 41001 will assist organizations in a number of ways by establishing a common approach and a set of processes that can be referred to around the world which constitutes a benchmark for developing and driving an effective strategic, tactical and operational FM system helping FM teams achieve optimum efficiency.
- It will also assist organizations seeking to outsource FM, as those providers who are able to demonstrate compliance with the standard will provide them with an assurance regarding their approach and processes.